First stop: Rome. I originally planned on spending 6 days in the city, but after being there a couple of days I remembered why I don't like big cities and decided to cut my visit by 2 days. But I was still able to pack a lot in, the blisters on my feet and the well developed leg muscles are evidence of the many miles I walked. It is impossible to post all the pictures so we'll see how far I get today before I am distracted by the need to locate my knitting supplies.
I'll begin by giving a shout out to my man Rick Steves. From now on his guide books are a traveling must. His Italy travel guide was my bible and I am forever grateful to my friends Dave and Rachel who passed it along to me. Rick offers free audio guides on his website, and I downloaded them, which saved me from having to pay for the audio tours. Much, if not all of what you read below about the places is from his guide book.
The Collosseum (Colloseo):
Built at the peak of the Roman Empire in A.D. 80 could hold 50,000 people are there to cheer on gladiator deaths and other family friendly sporting events. It is an awesome structure and pictures don't really do it justice:
The Arch of Constantine: This arch is important to Christianity because it marks the military coup of Emperor Constantine over his rival Maxentius in A.D. 312. Constantine's victory resulted in Christianity becoming mainstream. The artwork that covers the arch is completely recycled from other buildings.
The Roman Forum (Foro Romano): This area was the center of activity in ancient Rome. There aren't any complete buildings left, but plenty of ruins to see.
To prove I was really there. A few Americans all ended up in the same spot at the same time and took pictures for each other:
i just want to go to italy sooo badly! but at least i rejoice in the fact that this summer was the closest i have gotten to actually going to europe. another 5 or 10 years and i'll make it! love the pics in the meantime.
ReplyDelete