Sunday, November 7, 2010

If you feel like you are being watched...you are

My friend Becky has a regular zoo at her house. There has been talk of charging the neighborhood kids a $1 to come and see the animals. There are 3 rabbits, 2 cats and a dog. The rabbits, Emmett, Janga, and Milo could care less about us as humans, as long as we feed them, they are happy. The cats, Knightly and Kipling, like to pretend we don't matter, but we find that they hang out wherever we happen to be. Beamer is the most exuberant in his love for us.

Before I came to stay, the bedroom where I sleep, as the guest room, was off-limits to the animals, mostly the cats, because the rabbits would need a plan worthy of the Fantastic Mr. Fox to make it out of their cages and up the stairs and Beamer is pretty much by Becky's side. Wanting to know what was behind the closed door pretty much consumed the cats. So imagine their joy and happiness when I came and occasionally leave the door open. On those days, this is where Kipling ends up:

Imagine these two eyes staring at you in the dark.

The problem is once the cats are in, it is difficult to get them out. Come evening I close the door so I won't have to play the yarn game to get them to leave (they now know why I play this game so it works about half the time) so I can go to sleep. About bedtime I start to feel like I am being watched. Knightly takes up position in the bathroom down the hall and then peers around the door towards my room looking for an opportunity to sprint inside when my guard is down:


The whole of him:


Despite his well-laid plan I have yet to fall victim to his stealthiness.

3 comments:

  1. Spooky eyes for sure on that cat! Guess it's time for a new yarn game girl. They're not fooled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! Totally reminds me of a brief stint I had in Reston, VA with a roommate's cat, which I was deathly allergic to. Good times.

    ReplyDelete