Two of my friends of graduate school days in Indiana came to visit me at the beginning of August and we took off to Northwest Scotland before dropping back down to Edinburgh via the east coast. It was a brilliant time and I never tire of my friends company. Here are some pictures from the first couple of days.
Day 1, on the way to the Isle of Skye: Inveraray Castle: This was built by the first Early of Argyll, which you will notice was Colin Campbell, so this castle has historical significance for my family, my mother is a Campbell.
These are the white pillars spoken about in the above sign.
And this is the castle today.
Loch Lomond. Had not yet seen it, and it was worth the drive.
Every trip deserves at least one random wood carving picture
This is from the summit going from Fort Williams to the Isle of Skye.
Eileen Donan castle. I find that I like using my B&W feature for taking castle pictures, because the stone used to build most of the castles has very little color in them to begin with.
Day 2: Isle of Skye - We were lucky enough to be on the island for the Isle of Skye Highland games. It was a small event compared to the highland games I had seen a week earlier in Edinburgh. But it was better because we were able to sit fairly close to the field and see the many events. The video below is of the caber toss, and it is video of the only man to completely toss the caber 180 degrees.
I'm pretty sure Mike could toss a caber with one hand tied behind his back. I think the guy on the video was just mailing it in.
ReplyDeleteIs there a story behind the random wood carving?
The castles look great in B&W.
No story that I know of other than we were driving down some back road in Scotland near Loch Lomond when we came upon it and had to have some pictures. I think James should do something like this for your front yard.
ReplyDelete